What's in a Name?

The Dunkley brothers - and there were four of them - homesteaded an area in 1888 that later was referred to as Dunkley Park after three more Dunkley brothers and their father moved to the region in 1907 (eventually there were nine Dunkley families). Dunkley Pass, at the south end of the Flat Tops was originally a Ute Indian Trail but became a major cattle trail connecting the Williams Fork area to Yampa where they were then sent out via the rail.